Matt Bader, MD
I am a board-certified adult psychiatrist with subspecialty training in addiction psychiatry.
Originally from New Jersey, I found a second home in North Carolina during my residency training at Duke University. I spent a year away from the Tar Heel State completing my fellowship training in addictions at the Medical University of South Carolina in sunny Charleston, SC. I have happily traded coastal living for a return to the Triangle and all the diversity that it offers!
Given my specialty training, I have a great deal of experience treating a wide range of addictions including alcohol, opiates, marijuana, cocaine, and prescription medications just to name a few. However, I have found that in most individuals struggling with addiction issues, there is often also an ongoing battle against mood issues such as depression or anxiety. Thus, I strive to treat the client as a “whole” individual rather than focusing on one side of the addiction versus mood coin. Along those lines, I also have a great deal of experience treating a wide range of mental health problems including depression, generalized anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, and bipolar disorder outside of the context of addiction.
My goal is to provide compassionate, timely, and evidence-based care so that you can get to feeling better and living the life that you want to live. My treatment approaches include medication management, cognitive behavioral therapy, supportive therapy, and motivational enhancement therapy.
- Medical University of South Carolina (Charleston, SC) — Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship
- Duke University Medical Center (Durham, NC) — Psychiatry Residency
- Robert Wood Johnson Medical School (New Brunswick, NJ) — M.D.
- Rutgers University (New Brunswick, NJ) — B.A.
Professional Societies and Licenses:
- American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP): 2014-Present
- American Psychiatric Association (APA): 2014-Present
- American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM): 2014-Present
- North Carolina Psychiatric Association (NCPA): 2014-Present
- North Carolina State Medical License: 2009-2013; 2014-Present
- South Carolina State Medical License: 2013-2014
- DEA Waiver For Treatment of Opiate Addiction: 2014-Present